We have quite some features planned for ESP RainMaker. We are also open to new feature requests, which you can suggest on GitHub.
Before going into the roadmap, here's a list of things added recently that you may have missed out.
- Local Control is now available so that the communication with devices is faster and more reliable if you are on the same network. Also helpful when there is no Internet at all.
- Scheduling to enable actions to trigger automatically at specified time.
- Share your nodes with friends and family so that they can access and control them from their own phones. Sharing can be added/removed only from CLI as of now, but a shared node can be accessed from phone apps.
- ESP32 access is now enabled for all. Check out the Claiming documentation for more information.
- Source codes for the Android and iOS Phone apps are now available.
- OTA service has been launched, which also provides temporary firmware image hosting facility.
- Alexa and Google Voice Assistant (GVA) integrations are now available. Check this out for usage instructions.
- An option to choose BLE provisioning (instead of the default SoftAP) is now added for ESP32. Check "ESP RainMaker App Wi-Fi Provisioning" section in menuconfig. The new 2.0 versions of the phone apps also support this (only QR code mode, not manual).
- VS Code extension for ESP RainMaker is now available.
- Node grouping, to create abstract groups of nodes, or logical groups like all lights, all switches etc. A hierarchy can be created to represent nodes in terms of homes and rooms.
- Diagnostics support to monitor health and debug problems in field. Check out ESP Insights.
- Support for Scenes, which is a set of pre-defined param values for one or more devices is now available. These also get exported to Alexa and GVA.
What is coming next?
Time series data
- Data with a history maintained. Something like temperature readings taken every hour.
- Useful for analytics and finding patterns.
Device to device automations
- Trigger actions based on some device events.